- CD Erica S Bream’s blog is great! I really liked this post “Self-Tape Tips Part 5: Which Takes Should I Send?”
- Advice from Hollywood written by EP/Talent Manager Brian Medeavoy. Read it here. I’m even featured in his post Success Is Measured by What We Do for Others
- Backstage’s long running blog Secret Agent Man. Read it here.
- Cecily Strong Is Starting a New Conversation The “Saturday Night Live” star shares the story of her pandemic experience and a life touched by grief in “This Will All Be Over Soon.” This book sounds so vulnerable and interesting. I’m definitely marking a point to purchase when it comes out on August 10th. We all experienced grief this past year and it’s a conversation we too often shy away from. I’m sure her take will be unique coming from an actor/comedian as well. It reminds me a bit of my girl Chelsea London Lloyd’s podcast Dying Of Laughter, which if you haven’t, you should totally take a listen! Purchase the book here.
- Summer Reading from the NY Times “Hollywood” Category (NY Times)
Working Actors Books
Scripts / Sides
- TV Scripts!!! Looking for sides to work in class or for a self-tape reel? I typically recommend watching TV shows and transcribing scenes, but here are some additional awesome resources:
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/ (full scripts)
- https://www.actorsconnection.com/sides/category/general (stock sides)
- https://www.oneononenyc.com/actors/stocksides (stock sides)
Accessibility to Books & Audiobooks
- Download free audiobooks here.
- LA actors – get a digital library card here. I love having a digital library card. You can download so many books FOR FREE. If you don’t have one, you are missing out and wasting $$$!
Acting Technique Books
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. I love this book. I keep it by my bedside table and pick it up sometimes and just read a passage or two. An acting teacher recommended it once and I’ve found it inspiring. Think of The War of Art as tough love… for yourself.
How to Win Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegie
Business of Acting Books
- 10 Top 10s From A 10 Percenter: Over 100 Essential Acting Career Tips From A Hollywood Agent by Brianna Ancel
The Tao of Show Business by Dallas Travers
Self Management for Actors by Bonnie Gilesppie
- The Internet is a Minefield of Etiquette: Networking and Building a Career Online (Final Draft) While this article is written for writers, there are a lot of gems in here for actors as well.
- Save the Cat – This is the book I ALWAYS recommend to my clients who want to get into writing. It’s recommended constantly as a great jumping off point to writing for tv/film.
- Broadway Books: 10 Books on Playwriting to Read While Staying Inside! (BroadwayWorld)
- The Isolation Journal’s list of recommended reads on Creativity & Writing: https://bookshop.org/lists/on-creativity-writing