A Quick Note From Me…
Mental health has had a stigma for far too long, but NO MORE!!! Let’s all celebrate taking care of ourselves and prioritizing self-care *and I’m not talking bubble baths & wine*
Below you’ll find the best resources I know to support you in being a happy and healthy actor. Acting takes so much. We use our emotions. We dive deep into characters. We invest in our careers both financially and emotionally and it sometimes takes years before we see a big return on that investment. In order to continue on, we have to take care of ourselves – our whole selves! I hope you find this info valuable. I know I have!
I recommend you scroll down and look through all the categories before you dig in.
The national suicide hotline is 1-800-273-8255
My #1 Recommendation
My #1 recommendation is definitely The Actor’s Fund. It is such an incredible resource and highly under utilized by most actors. They have so many services for us from mindset workshops to access to social workers, housing placement, budgeting classes (which are amazing – I’ve taken them!) and so much more.
Did you know The Actors Fund has been around since 1882 to help not only actors, but musicians, dancers, opera singers, radio personalities?! They have offices in NY, LA and Chicago and serve actors all over the US with their online programs.
I have a therapist. I love him. It took me years to find someone. I wish I’d gone sooner. I highly recommend all people, but especially actors talk to a professional at some point in their lives. It’s OK to ask for help. Why not start looking today?
- The Actor’s Fund
- ShoreScripts.com (mental health resources for screenwriters & filmmakers)
- Okay Okay Okay (specifically for people in the dance community )
- National Alliance On Mental Illness
- Join Real (only $24/month)
- Talk Space
- Better Help
- Open Path Collective -Therapists provide affordable online psychotherapy sessions between $30 and $60 (between $30 and $80 for couples & family sessions)
Actor Specific Mindset Work
- The Actor Mindset Podcast is a place to learn techniques for a healthier headspace and hear inspirational stories so that you can maintain hope for the long haul in your career. LISTEN HERE.
- Actress and coach Wendy Braun has created two free meditations for actors. Download here.
Let’s get happy!
Articles and info to increase your overall levels of positivity and happiness.
- Yale’s FREE Science of Well-Being Course AKA “The Happiness Class” **highly recommend
- 14 Ways To Be More Positive, According to Psychologists (Women’s Health)
- It’s Easier Than Ever To Make A New Face On Social Media. But Is It Killing Your Confidence? (Women’s Health)
- 31 Simple Tricks Experts Use To Stay Resilient, Hopeful, And *Happy* During The Toughest Times (Women’s Health)
- 15 Health Habits That Actually Optimize Your Immunity, According To Experts (Women’s Health) – I have to say they recommend sleeping at 65 degrees and my husband and I do it now and we are both sleeping better! Also, of course love the gratitude practices. 🙂
- LA – 57 cool walks in L.A. that get you 10,000 steps (LA Times) 12 minutes of walking is supposed to improve your mood. Getting out and having experiences brings us happiness. Let’s get walking, friends!
When will this pandemic be over?!!!! Help me cope with it resources!
- How to Get Into a Better Headspace if the Current State of the World Has You Down (Cosmopolitan)
- CHANGE ONE WORD + SHIFT YOUR MINDSET: How To Let Go Of The Guilt Of Not Being More Productive During A Global Pandemic (Actor Inspiration)
- You Might Be Having More Nightmares Amidst The Novel Coronavirus Pandemic (Women’s Health)
- What Is Doomscrolling? Experts Explain Why We Do it—And How to Stop (Health)
- 17 Super-Simple Ways To Relieve Stress *Immediately* (Women’s Health)
- The Simplest, Best Tool for Personal Wellness: Breathing (Shondaland)
Free Meditation for all!
- List of free meditation resources: https://choosemuse.com/blog/ultimate-list-of-free-meditation-resources/
- Calm Apps’ Free options: https://www.calm.com/blog/take-a-deep-breath
- Headspace Apps’ Free Meditation Options:
Resources for BIPOC
- The Reality of Navigating the Mental Health System as a Black Woman (Allure)
- 13 Inclusive Therapy And Mental Health Resources For BIPOC (Buzzfeed)
If you’d like to recommend a resource for this page – please email us at ActorsRise@gmail.com.